ADVANCED TYPOGRAPHY - PROJECT 1


24/09/18 - 1/10/18 (Week 5 - Week 7)
Yeap Phay Min (0331073)
Advanced Typography
Project 1: Typosexual Typographic Exhibition - Title and Key Artwork



LECTURE NOTES

24/09/18 (Week 5)

This week's lecture was done by 3 groups, and my group was one of the presenters. Our group had the task to prepare a set of lecture slides regarding the history of typography, from Gutenberg to the present day.

While coming up with the slides for the presentation, I got to have a better understanding of this part of the history of typography. I got to be introduced to Gutenberg who created Blackletter, and learn how typography was evolved from there. These included roman type, italics, serifs, sans serif and others. It is pretty interesting to know about how type has grew from Gutenberg up until the present day.

Here are the slides prepared by my group.



We also got to hear and understand the other 2 group's lectures. With the 3 sets of slides, we needed to compile it into a set of slides of our own as well.

From the other 2 lectures, I got to learn about the history of typography from pictograms to Charlemagne, as well as a lecture on different typographers and their inspirations on creating the specific typefaces. In the first lecture, I learned about pictograms, ideographs, hieroglyphics, Phoenicians, Greeks and Charlemagne. For the other lecture, we were introduced to typographers such as Carol Twombly, Vincent Connare, Max Miedinger, Adrian Frutiger and Paul Renner. These typographers designed type that is well-known in the present day such as Calson, Comic Sans, Helvetica, Univers and Futura.

Here my slides for this week's lectures.




01/10/18 (Week 6)

In this week, we got to hear two set of lectures from 2 groups. The topics were regarding designing type which included thinking before drawing and the anatomy of type.

Through the first lecture given in class, we got to learn about the initial stages done before designing type which includes having a brief, finding inspiration and define specific typographic parameters. It is also important to consider several factors while designing a typeface. In the second lecture regarding the anatomy of type and the construction of components, I got to learn and understand what different parts of a letter are called, These included bar, tail, ear, loop, terminal, arm, counter and others. It was interesting to learn all these as I would often just see letters as it is without knowing and thinking about all these various parts.

Here are my lecture notes that I've complied in Google Slides.





INSTRUCTIONS




24/09/18 (Week 5)

In this week's class, we were given our first project of this module. Typosexual Typographic Exhibition is the title of a exhibition that we are required to work on. With the title, we needed to combine it with visual elements. This combination of image and text will then be a signature artwork. This is somewhat similar to exercise part 2.

In the initial stages of creating the composition, we should only use black and white so that we'll focus on the form and not be distracted by colours. Then, a maximum of two colours can be used in our designs later on.

For the image to be used with the title, I wanted it to be something that would relate to type. Therefore I decided to take a picture of my typewriter.

Fig1.1: Image of typewriter

Fig1.2: Using Adobe Photoshop to remove the background 
Fig1.3: PNG of typewriter image


I decided to create several compositions combining the image and the title. I started editing using black & white and shades of grey, then later on with colours.

For the colours I decided to go with a muted coral red and light blue. I choose these 2 colours because red represents passion and love while blue is associated with peace and togetherness. I thought that this would go well for this project, since the word typosexual represents the feeling of being intimate and passionate towards type while we as designers are designing.

Fig1.4: Colours used

Fig1.5: Process of editing in Adobe Illustrator #1

Fig1.6: Process of editing in Adobe Illustrator #2

Here are my initial attempts, both black & white and colour.

Fig1.7: Composition #1 - B&W 

Fig1.8: Composition #1 - Colour

Fig1.9: Composition #2 - B&W 

Fig1.10: Composition #2 - Colour

Fig1.11: Composition #3 - B&W 

Fig1.12: Composition #3 - Colour


Fig1.13: Composition #4 - B&W

Fig1.14: Composition #4 - Colour 

Fig1.15: Composition #5 - B&W 

Fig1.16: Composition #5 - Colour 

01/10/18 (Week 6)

This week, I got to show Mr Vinod and Mr Shamsul my initial compositions. It was mentioned that type is expressed in my artwork through the typewriter, but there's a lack of play and intimacy. So, I decided to include a hand (coming out from the typewriter) holding a rose. 

Fig1.17: Image taken from Pexels

Fig1.18: Edited Image


Fig1.19: Image combined with the typewriter

Here are my second attempts.

Fig1.20: Second Attempt #1

Fig1.21: Second Attempt #2

Fig1.22: Second Attempt #3

Before ending the class, I got to show Mr Vinod what I've done. He mentioned that I could try using a body instead of a hand as it'll make the overall composition look better. With the feedback received, I needed to make more adjustments to my artwork.

I decided to go on pixels and pixabay to find royalty free images. I ended up using several of them to try out which would look better for my composition.

Fig1.23: Image #1

Fig1.24: Image #2

Fig1.25: Image #3

Fig1.26: Image #4

Fig1.27: Using Adobe Photoshop to remove the background #1

Fig1.28: Using Adobe Photoshop to remove the background #2

As for the colours, I decided to stick to pink/red to represent love and passion.

Fig1.29: Colours used

Here are the compositions that I've done.

Fig1.30: Third Attempt #1

Fig1.31: Third Attempt #2

Fig1.32: Third Attempt #3

Fig1.33: Third Attempt #4

Fig1.34: Third Attempt #5

Fig1.35: Third Attempt #6



Fig1.36: Third Attempt #7

Fig1.37: Third Attempt #8
Fig1.38: Third Attempt #9
Fig1.39: Third Attempt #10 (Without Typewriter)


08/10/18 (Week 7)

In this class, I got to show Mr Vinod and Mr Shamsul the compositions I've created. With the feedbacks received, I ended up selecting artwork #9 as my final, and I also had to make a black and white copy of the artwork. 

Fig1.40: Images Used

Fig1.41: Typeface used (Google Fonts)

Fig1.42: Final Artwork - Black & White

Once I got the black and white artwork done, it was time to add a maximum of two colours to the artwork.
Fig1.43: Initial colours used

Fig1.44: Initial choice of colours

15/10/18 (Week 8)

Mr Vinod mentioned that the colours I chose were not bright enough and it doesn't stand out to capture the attention of others. Therefore I needed to choose a colour that's brighter. I still wanted to stick with shades of red as I felt that it suits well with the theme of the artwork.

Here are my colour references and experimental attempts.

Fig1.45: References for colours

Fig1.46: Experimenting with colours #1

Fig1.47: Experimenting with colours #2

Then, I decided to try adding colours only to the letter S to see if it would look better, and it did. Therefore I decided to use that as my final coloured artwork.

Fig1.48: Colours used for the tex of the final coloured  artwork

Fig1.49: Final Artwork - Coloured


PDF of Final Artwork - Black & White


PDF of Final Artwork - Coloured



FEEDBACK

24/09/18 (Week 5)

General feedback: When giving presentations, we should stand up and interact with the audience to make sure they understand what is being presented. Group members should also help each other by collaborating and not just cooperating. Images should also be put on the slides to see information visually. 
Specific feedback: When asking questions during presentations, don’t immediately tell them if their response was right or wrong, instead ask several more people to see what they have to say. Our slides should also mention the dates(years), for a better clarification of the timeline. 


01/10/18 (Week 6)

General feedback: For presentations, it is good to have references to books or articles. For project 1, our artwork should not have borders, and the image and type should integrate and intertwine with each other well. The elements used should also be related to the title. We should avoid using coloured backgrounds as it makes our design look more like a layout. Instead, our artwork should be able to stand on its own. And lastly, we should not forget that whatever we’re designing should represent an exhibition which revolves around type, designers and intimacy.
Specific feedback: My initial compositions does relate to type, but it is lacking of play and intimacy. I could explore with more variety, using elements that will make my compositions more exciting and expressive. Instead of adding a hand to the typewriter, I could also try to work with a body. I should also avoid using colours first and focus on the form.

08/10/18 (Week 7)

General feedback: For project 1, our final artwork should be done on Illustrator so it can be scaled later on. 
Specific feedback: Mr Vinod and Mr Shamsul likes what I’ve done and it is interesting. It was good that I branched out and didn’t just stick to my previous idea. I actually needed to do it in black and white first, so had to create a black and white copy fit. 



REFLECTION

EXPEREINCE

24/09/18 (Week 5)
This week, I got to have another go at combining an image and text since this first project is similar to our previous exercise.

01/10/18 (Week 6)
I got to continue to work on the artwork, and try to integrate the text and image well enough to express both type and intimacy.

08/10/18 (Week 7)
This week, I got to finalise my key artwork which will be used in the next project.

OBSERVATION

24/09/18 (Week 5)
While creating the compositions, I observed that this is a little easier to do compared to the previous exercise as we're only using 3 words (the title), whereas in the previous exercise we needed to use around 20-30 words.

01/10/18 (Week 6)
After receiving feedback, I did observe that by just using the typewriter, it only showcased type and not intimacy as it was lacking.

08/10/18 (Week 7)
I observed that I should have created a black and white composition first before using colours so I could focus more on the form. I also observed that it is important to not just stick to one idea and instead try out something different as it may lead to something great.

FINDINGS

24/09/18 (Week 5)
I found that I had to really think about how I want to combine my image and my text together in a way that fits and looks good. I also found that it is important for the image and text to have some sort of a connection.

01/10/18 (Week 6)
While doing this project, I found that I was struggling to incorporate the element of intimacy in my composition as I did not know what sort of element to use for the artwork.

08/10/18 (Week 7)
I found that by experimenting and branching out with new ideas, I got to have a variety of compositions that are much better than the previous ones. At the end of it all, I found that I was happy and satisfied with the final outcome of the artwork. All the attempts of creating the artwork was worth it.



FURTHER READING

24/09/18 (Week 5)

I Love Type B - Avant Garde
Published by Viction:ary

Fig2.1: Book Cover
The book states that different typefaces have its own uniqueness and characteristics. It's not just its presence in design by being part of a product or project, as it also reflects the personality and attitude of the designer behind it.

In this book I Love Type, it focuses on one specific typeface and that is Avant Garde. The book introduces the typeface Avant Garde, and also includes a variety of compositions and designs to showcase this particular font. While flipping through the pages, I got to look at the different ways the typeface has been used in the designs, many of which is visually pleasing and aesthetic. I got to see this type being used on books, invitations, packagings, corporate identity, brochures, wall piece and more, which I found interesting as there are many variations of designs.

Fig2.2: Example #1

Fig2.3: Example #2
 
Fig2.4: Example #3

Fig2.5: Example #4

01/10/18 (Week 6)

The Fundamentals of Typography by Gavin Ambrose & Paul Harris

Fig2.6: Book Cover

This book offers an insight into typographic theory and practice. The contents include history of typography, typographic detailing and the creative use of typography in print and screen.

I decided to read up on the chapter, using type. From there, I got to learn about type as image. In addition to the functionality of letters being used for communicating text, it is also applicable as a graphical element that is able to speak through the visual representation of it, rather than just the meanings of the letters. Logos are great way to illustrate an example of this, because the way the letters are styled creates a visual statement about the company/organisation.

From the same chapter, I got to read up on colour, and how it works with typography in various ways to showcase different roles that play a part in conveying information and contributing to the visual effect of a design. There are many choices as to what colours we should use in our design, but it is important to remember that certain colours represent different meanings. Therefore while deciding on what colours to use, think about the message you are trying to convey in your design and look up the meaning of the colours to see what best suits it. 


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts