ADVANCED INTERACTIVE DESIGN - PROPOSAL


29/08/19 - 03/10/19 (Week 1 - Week 6)
Yeap Phay Min (0331073)
Advanced Interactive Design
Interactive Storytelling - Proposal



INSTRUCTIONS


29/08/19 (Week 1)

For this module, there is only one project, and it is split into two parts—proposal and final outcome. We were introduced to what this project is about, which is interactive storytelling. The theme of this is folklore, preferably local or any other Asian ones, not American. With the story chosen, we need to make it interactive and interesting. 

An example given to us was The Boat. http://www.sbs.com.au/theboat/ 
In The Boat, there were button elements, scroll function (is that what you call it?), animations, sound effects, interactivity and moving backgrounds to go along with the narrative of the story.


Fig 1.1: Example

Fig 1.2: Example

To start off, we needed to search up several folklores and share them with Mr Shamsul in the next class. I tried to look for folklores whereby I can roughly imagine how the visuals would be like, and think if they would be nice to illustrate or not. I ended up branching out of Malaysian folklores and read up on some from China and Japan. 

I compiled the few folklores that I found interesting in Google Slides.





05/09/19 (Week 2)
In class, I got to share the folklore stories I selected with Mr Shamsul and Mr Shamsul. They approved of the first folklore story which is the Chinese New Year folklore. Next, I could start on the storyboard/flowchart and the sitemap. I could also start thinking about what elements could be animated/interactive.

For more examples, the website https://thefwa.com/awards/page/1/ was shared to us.


12/09/19 (Week 3)
This week we continued to work on the flowchart as well as the storyboard.

More links were shared with us as well.

1. https://acoustics.autoneum.com

Fig 2.1: Example


2. https://boniver.withspotify.com

Fig 2.2: Example


3. https://currents.activetheory.net

Fig 2.3: Example


4. https://activetheory.net/work

Fig 2.4: Example



19/09/19 (Week 4)
Class was cancelled due to the haze. I sent the link of my proposal slides to Mr Shamsul to show what I've done so far.

26/09/19 (Week 5)
For this week, I got feedback on what I've done so far, and continued to work on it further.

03/10/19 (Week 6)
This week, I continued to compile the flowchart, storyboard and moodboard in a set of slides.


Proposal Slides: 






FEEDBACK

05/09/19 (Week 2)
Specific feedback: The selected folklore story is approved. For the next step, I need to work on the storyboard/flowchart and the sitemap.

12/09/19 (Week 3)
General feedback: Continue to work on the flowchart and storyboard of our selected story.

26/09/19 (Week 5)
Specific feedback: As for the storyboard, I should be indicating the interactivity of it, making the storyboard more clear and detailed. The flowchart should also include the indications of interactivity.

03/10/19 (Week 6)
Specific feedback: The flowchart and storyboard are much clearer now with the addition of the labels to identify what each part is about.



REFLECTION

EXPERIENCE
In the first project, I got to select a folklore and come up with a proposal which includes the flowchart, storyboard and moodboard. Initially, I kept finding folklore from Malaysia but in the end I went with a Chinese folklore of The Nian which relates to Chinese New Year so I decided that it would be interesting. While doing the proposal, I also got to have a clearer picture of how I want the outcome to be like as I went into details for the interactivity and motion.

OBSERVATION
I observed that through coming up with the storyboard I got a better idea on what the visual style of the outcome will look like. I also noticed that a handful of existing visuals/videos for this folklore seemed to lean to a kidder style hence why I decided to have a target audience of teens to young adults instead.

FINDINGS
Initially, I felt confused as I didn't know how I wanted to visualise the story but in the end I guess it wasn't as hard as I thought. I just needed to understand my chosen folklore thoroughly and then come up with ideas for the interactivity and motion, making sure it is clear and understandable in my flowchart and storyboard.


Comments

  1. Hi! I was doing some research for a business proposal when I stumbled upon your blog. I was doing research for a Korean inspired night market in SoCal and so I was really inspired and impressed by your work/concepts. Anyway, it'd be cool to just exchange ideas and get your opinion on some stuff. I'm guessing you're also a student and hopefully you check comments but get back to me when you read this!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts